Friday, June 10, 2016

Healthier breakfast alternative for your meat and potatoes man

What do you do when you're trying to eat healthy and prepare clean meals for your family and your husband and only wants meat and potatoes?  If your significant other is like mine, he's not going to drink a smoothie or eat an egg white omelette! So, instead of trying to change him, I just try to prepare the healthiest version of foods that he loves. 

This is my recipe for an alternative to him swinging through the drive-through and getting a breakfast sandwich every day because he wants a hot meal.  I don't get up early to make him one, and these can be stored in Ziploc bags and reheated for grab and go.

Healthy breakfast alternative for your meat and potatoes man

Drop biscuits:
4 1/2 c Bisquick all-purpose baking mix
1 1/3 c skim milk or plain almond milk 
1 c shredded cheese
1 lb all natural pork or turkey sausage (I get our pork from the farmers market, and it's farm-to-table.  No nitrates, fillers, hormones or antibiotics. I used turkey sausage for a long time. Just read your labels so that you're not giving something that's full of preservatives)

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and grease a cookie sheet with butter or cooking spray.
Mix the Bisquick and milk in a large bowl, then fold in the cheese. Add browned sausage (cook it first) until all is mixed evenly. 

Use a serving spoon or a cookie baller (one size up from a melon baller. Pampered chef has a good one if you're looking) to drop the biscuits onto your greased cookie sheet. I do 4 to a row so I can bake 16 at a time. Bake for 10 minutes and let them cool on a baker's rack or paper towels.  

Once cooled, I package them into sandwich bags for easy serving. My husband eats three at a time, but you can figure out what you need. One batch makes 30-32 biscuits depending on how you measure them. This gets us a little over a week of breakfast.  To reheat, wrap the biscuits in a damp paper towel for about 20 seconds. 

Lower in fat, preservatives and calories than any biscuit from any fast food restaurant and much cheaper. All the ingredients cost us about $5 for 8-9 meals! Your man will be eating something  yummy, semi-healthy,  and you can feel good about what he's eating and not spending at the drive-through.  I love feeding yummy food to my family,  and I know he appreciates the little bit of effort that I put into making sure that he gets a hot breakfast in the morning. Happy baking! 


No comments:

Post a Comment