Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Power of Sleep

A new study by the University of Colorado raises awareness about the role of sleep in health. NPR reported that people who slept for only 5 hours a night ate more than when they slept for 9 hours, and The New York Times announced that “losing just a few hours of sleep a few nights in a row can lead to almost immediate weight gain.”

My top tips for getting better and more sleep:
1. Make your bedroom your sanctuary. Only use your bed for sleeping or reading a REAL book, not an electronic book. Your body needs to know that when it lays in bed it's going to sleep or...we won't go there LOL!

2. Turn off all electronic devices one hour before bed. TVs, tablets, e-readers, cell phones, etc all emit a blue light that keeps the brain awake. Do you really need to check your email or Facebook again?
3. Create a bedtime routine. Just like when you were a kid, create a routine that prepares your body for rest. Mine looks like this: I drop the thermostat one hour before bed. Then, I take a bath with lavender oil and warm but not super hot water. Then I do all my personal hygiene care before I let all the steam out of the bathroom. Last, I only use a soft light in the room while reading a quick chapter of a calming book (no murder mysteries or thrillers). I start this all about 9 p.m. and by 10 I'm out like a light. I get up at 5-6 a.m. every day so my sleep schedule is very important in order for me to be productive each day.
4. If you want to start going to bed earlier, go to bed 15 minutes earlier each night until you reach the time you want to sleep.
I know we're all busy, but sleep is when your body heals itself and prepares for the next day. You'll be able to be so much more productive if you're well rested. Here's a great article from webmd.com as well. Happy sleeping!

Yours in Health,
Coach Steph
follow me on twitter, facebook and instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment